View Single Post
Old 16-10-2016, 12:24 PM   #17
Ursa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempo View Post
Has anyone any experience of this. Bought my S4rs new in 2008 and the tank has been slowly expanding since then,. I know its ethanol problems and poor quality of tank and has been talked about on forums particularly in USA. I should have acted on this when it first started years previously but its now got so bad I cant lock the tank down as strap now fowls the ignition pod . Has anybody had experience of this and can you tell me what you experiences were with Ducati re getting a replacement . No doubt I have left it to late now but any advice welcome
Going back to the original point, I had a slightly different issue with my tank, as in it had been repainted (as I subsequently found out), after the original owner had an off, and for whatever reason (not being prepped properly, the type of plastic the tank was made of, I don't know) the tank warped slightly and the paint bubbled off.

I contacted Ducati about it, who referred me to Ducati UK, and the offer was a replacement tank at £550 plus VAT (based on the fact that the service history was only part official dealer...), and it would have to be fitted at an official dealership, so I'd have to pay for labour costs also. I also contacted Rosso Corse, and was quoted £600 for a replacement second hand tank including fitting, which I felt was too expensive.

A fellow, helpful, forum member however pointed me in the direction of Italian Ebay, where I got a pristine new old stock tank for the princely sum of £120 including shipping, which I then fitted myself by booking a bench at Oval Motorcycle Centre for £26 per hour, and doing it when I did my interim service. It's not a hard job, and it made changing the fuel filter super easy.

If you don't have full main dealer service record, best option is Italian ebay, and fit it yourself, and write off the £100 odd quid.