View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #12
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_matese View Post
the only difference should be the heads, i think they used the same heads on the m900 as they do on the 750 for a few years, get earlier heads and you'd have the same engine as the 900SS - i may be wrong, one of the more clever ducatistis will be along shortly to refute/confirm my thinking.
There are yes two types of head that the 900 750 can share. One has smaller valves and a lot of the monsters have these, most of the 900 supersports had the bigger valves and ??? the 750SS did too (not sure about the 750). As standard it doesn't really dump out more power but it can if you have the heads flowed.
The big valve heads are usually jumped on quite quickly.
The dry/wet clutches are all meted to the same basic motor block, the difference is in the cases and a few items.. so you can retro fit a dry clutch to wet clutch model given that you can get the parts and get some spacers spun up.
Early monsters have carbs, after 2000/1 they are fuel injection.
Early nonsters have mechanical clock(s) late are electronic (= expensive)
Early monsters have simple ignitor control ignition later injection series have ECUs
Some have single front disks (600, 750) but may have twin, the 900 usually has twin.
The rear brakes, especially the underslung ones are a right PIA, it takes a lot of effort to get one that isn't just on or off.
Otherwise they stayed very similar in looks until the fat trellis came in