View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
itguy

Morning! New 696 owner

Good morning all

I've been a member on here for a little while but have only just bought a Monster.

I recently sold my 848 (my first Duke) as I just need couldn't get on with the full on sportsbike riding position and I always felt as though my skills didn't quite match the performance of the machine, making me feel a bit intimidated by it every time I rode.

So - I sat down and thought hard about what bikes I've owned over the years and which ones I most enjoyed riding. My old Honda Hornet 600 (S plate, early one) won in my mind, however having owned a Duke I just knew I couldn't consider a Honda again.

So - I've bought a 696. I know it's not going to be the fastest bike ever, but that's part of the attraction for me. It may be that I want to sell in a year and upgrade to a 796 or 1100 Evo, but for now this is me going back to my grass roots of just having plain, simple fun.

So, the bike. Well, I bought it from a car dealer who took it in as p/x. It's tidy (needs a bit of degreaser and polish), but has the right Termi's on and is 1 owner from new. 8.8k miles, FSH etc etc. Also as a bonus it has come with the DP tailpack (the zip-off one).

As it's a few miles away from home I'm getting it transported home on Monday/Tuesday next week so I'm a little bit excited as you can imagine!

I now need to lock my credit card away as I keep buying things.

Have already picked up the official comfort touring seat (to save my gentlemen) off ebay and a new paddock stand (for the double swing arm). I've also bought some China-special adjustable levers in black (soon to be gold from what I hear) and red.

I do fancy a carbon king heat shield for the manifold pipe, and the DP carbon heatsheilds for the exhausts too, but I must resist!

Anyway, some really rubbish pics... better photos when I get the bike here!

Last edited by itguy; 11-07-2013 at 11:11 AM..