View Single Post
Old 18-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #25
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Good reputations are hard to come by. It takes many satisfied customers to build one up. I have no personal experience of RC, but I have heard their recommendation many times on this forum. Thats got to count for a lot, in my book.
Chain replacement is very early, but maybe it had a tight spot, perhaps due to standing for a while...?? If this was the case, then while you're having a new front sprocket (different size ?), it would be sensible to change the full set, ie the rear as well.
Disc pads seems early too, under normal conditions, but again, maybe the conditions weren't normal. Given their reputation, I would assume there was good reason.
For me though, monsters (particularly the 2-valvers) are so easy to work on that I would recommend doing as much home servicing as possible. Certainly all the usual consumables and fluids, and the belts (which aren't at all difficult once you get over the hype and get stuck in). Even valve clearances aren't hard if you take your time and have a little mechanical sympathy.
Normal servicing costs are seriously not for me. Not when in just a few years they could account for most of the value of the bike in the first place.
But for others, a good mechanic is worth their weight in gold, and I just thought I would put in a plug for RC and others of their ilk who have earned a reputation for good solid work at a reasonable price.
I understand that your comments were by way of discussion rather than critisism, and quite right too, but it would be a shame if the wrong conclusions were implied by accident, without full knowledge of all the facts.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote