Thread: Servicing Costs
View Single Post
Old 22-02-2004, 10:32 AM   #30
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Novice,

You will get ripped off by a lot of dealers for service charges, but if you shop around you can get the costs down. The independant service agents charge less, but cant really be used during the warrentee period.

Costs I've been quoted are £200-£300 +vat for a 6000 mile service, and £350-450 at 12000 miles. The 1st service varies a lot, as some have had it F.O.C., some paid for just parts and I personally got stung for £170

You can save £££'s by doing as much of the routine work you can manage yourself, and only pay shops to tackle the more complicated stuff. DIY Oil and filter can be done in less than an hour, and cost £30-45 depending on what oil you use. A pair of cam belts is I think just under £30 now, and takes me around an hour and a half to swap. A lot of dealers would try to charge you nearly £200 just to carry out these two jobs!

Throw in a bit of chain adjusting, checking desmo gear and general tweaking, and it is'nt hard to see how most dealers come up with a £300-400 charge with labour costs at £40-50 an hour.

My 2 year warentee expired this week - so guess who will be fettling my bike now?