View Single Post
Old 16-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
mfosker

Totally hooked.
I picked up the 695 yesterday afternoon from the dealers, after a mate wizzed us up the M4/A34 from Bristol,
I was pretty nervous on my first bike as we road into the centre of Oxford to pick his girlfriend. 1 mile to get the hang of the bike before rush hour traffic...

[BTW, riding a monster through the centre of Oxford on a sunny afternoon has to be recommended, never in my life have so many short-skirted girls been staring at me. I could get used to that. Lucky they can't see my ugly face inside my lid]

So anyway had a leisurely ride back through the Cotswolds from Oxford --> Swindon --> Sherston --> Bristol.
Those 90 miles are the furthest I've ridden on the road since I passed my test, and I can tell you that I was pretty wooden for the first while, riding down roads I don't know on a bike I don't know. But once I got past Sherston onto road that I know well it was a blast. I've not had such a grin on my face for a while.

Riding back from work in the pissin down rain today was not such a giggle mind, I never realised how many manhole covers there are in Bristol before, or how thick the paint is on the edge of the bus lanes.

So that's it. Life changed, no more 45 minutes to travel 4 miles to work for me. No more wishing I had a bike; cos I have one now and its fan-bloody-tastic