View Single Post
Old 20-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #30
nambduke
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
Braking technique?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief View Post
........The break issue is as follows... I would also expect the back break to lock if i stood on it but i am talking about breaking harder than a normal stop but not emergency stopping.

I can be travelling at less than 20mph and have to pull up quickly and it just locks, swings the back out and the clattering noise starts.

A cyclist shot out from in front of a bus as i was dring by the other day and i had to break - release - break - release several times to stop the bike, it frightened the life out of me as i thought i was going ot take her out (obvously she should have been looking and i did ask her if she had a death wish - using maybe slightly more coarse language.

I've been reading with interest and would like to pass a few words of advice re the braking technique....

The rear brake is useful for very slow manoeuvres, u-turns etc, but for normal riding, front brake combined with controlled down shifting is all you need - especially on a Ducati. Mike Hailwood (showing my age now - NEVER used his back brake!!). You might want to experiment and use a bit of rear in wet conditions, but in reality, you brake a lot more gently in the wet anyway, but still the emphasis is to use the rear with extreme care.

For advanced techniques, rear brake can be used to tighten lines on bends at speed, but this really needs to carefully applied in road riding. Jumping on the rear brake pedal or trying to lock the rear wheel is really bad technique and an understanding of the forces applied should be found - try your local bikesafe or advanced training scheme where they should be able to identify any bad habits you migt have aquired over time. Refresher courses are good for everyone and I'd recommend that to anyone reading this thread.

As an instructor in an earlier life, the one single contributor to an out of control braking scenario was the over use of the rear brake. Many riders think over use of the front brake will mean you'll end up over the handlebars or the front will tuck....well you won't unless you are a stunt rider or Rossi who brake at the absolute maximum, the chances of that happening to you simply will not occur in road riding or under an emergency stop scenario. The use of either brake in a bend needs discouraged if at all possible for the obvious reasons!

As usual, practice makes perfect and education to which is the important brake...Hint - The Front....is the important message. You might have gotten into a bad habit by over using the rear brake in normal riding?

Clutch - keep on at the dealer. Obviously needs sorting. You'll get fobbed off with it being a consumable item and is subject to wear, but there may be an underlying problem?? Pressure plate/springs?? My M1000ie graunches occasionally, but it's just in the nature of the beast I think!

Regards,
Mark Nambduke