View Single Post
Old 25-02-2007, 05:31 PM   #1
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Desmodue 2007 - getting ready!

One week to go till first outing at Silverstone (trackday, 4th March) so I thought I ought to get the bike ready. It didn't have any mechanical issues when I put it away last year so I don't intend to do much to it, a set of belts and some cosmetic work as it was looking fairly sorry for itself after two trips into the kitty litter last year.
I went to my local paint place and they mixed me an aerosol can of Ducati Rosso Red and supplied a can of clear lacquer, bought a can of white primer some knifing compound and wet and dry, and set to work sanding down the tank and filling the paint chips in. Sprayed up the nosecone in red and yellow, the mudguard was badly scratched but I decided it would come up with just a coat of lacquer, ditto bellypan. Side panels, one would need red base coat, one just lacquer. All stickers etc removed with the aid of a hot air gun and residue cleaned up with meths. Finally, tank and side panel primed and sprayed with several light coats of red, and then all coated in clear lacquer and reassembled. Final touch, apply chrome Ducati logos supplied by my local sign writing company.
Belts replaced today too along with a fresh R&G bung (old one was a bit shorter than it used to be after a few tarmac interfaces), just needs a nut and bolt check and clean, battery currently on charge, bellypan to be reftted once it's cleaned. Shims will be done next month too, along with an oil and filter change. Waiting for my front numbers to arrive.
Pics taken today:

Finally, the old R&G bung I removed, shows why they're a good idea! It was nearly an inch shorter than the fresh new one I've just fitted.

Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote