View Single Post
Old 11-05-2006, 06:53 AM   #1
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Desmodue report from Assen

Thursday morning, 6 AM, alarm clock goes off. Van has been stripped of racking and anything non essential, purchased bulb kits, headlamp beam bender thingys, warning triangle etc, packed my bag, and after a quick breakfast it’s off to Phoenix’s to pick up the race bikes etc.
By 9 the bikes are loaded, along with enough tents, sleeping bags and cooking / eating equipment to keep a small army going. Spares, tools, jerry can for fuel, paddock stands, leathers and helmets, somehow it all goes in and I leave for London to collect Slob. He adds another set of leathers and helmets, a couple more tents and sleeping bags, and we head out for Dover and the ferry, which we make 20 minutes before it leaves – phew!
Once in Dunkirque we turn left and follow the coast, quickly into Belgium, a stop for fuel coffee and sandwiches, spend an hour in a traffic jam, and eventually we cross into the Netherlands. More coffee, press on, and at last we get to Assen in the dark. Follow signs for the TT circuit, which is absolutely massive and very well organised. They’ve spent a billion pounds on the circuit and it shows!!! Collect tickets, scrutineering and practice passes etc, and into the paddock about 11pm. The paddock is enormous and is filling up fast. Find CK / AK’s pitch, which is our meeting point, and park up.
First problem, the paddock is completely block paved, not that tent friendly. I’m ok, I unload Dessie and set up my mattress and duvet and sleeping bag and pillow in the back of the van next to Max, but Slob’s having trouble getting his tent pegs in!!! An hour and a half later he gives up and crawls into an unsupported tent, anchored down only by his body weight, and we get some much needed sleep.
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote